Friday, January 20, 2012

The God Drug

In the book, The Forces that Form Your Future, the author asks how you view God and how you view the Bible. I pondered this over as I read it, as I was falling to sleep, my dreams pondered it and so did my waking self, after some much needed caffeine. A little voice inside was sneering at me, telling me I must not really know if I am taking so long to think it over. It was wrong. I was bypassing my brain to think on this and going straight to my heart. It has many rooms and is a really big place. As I was searching for the answer, one came to me.

God is like a drug – a pure drug, a life-giving drug. And even that doesn't truly encompass it all.

Let me explain my answer, if you will. The drugs that we associate with euphoric highs are, in truth, harmful to you and I believe Satan's effort to capture some of the glory that God gives to those who love and follow Him. If you are addicted to worldly drugs or know someone who is, you know that the highs don't last long and the lows are horrific. And so those who are addicted will chase after, doing whatever necessary, to get their next fix. All to chase that first high.

God's love is a Christian's drug. It produces a high that no earthly thing can compare. And it is free! He gives it even when we disobey. But oh how much more sweeter it is when we do! And to get more, you chase after him and he chases right back. The Bible is full of him reaching out, chasing, those who He loves and them chasing him. That first high of God just keeps getting better and better! The Bible is our daily dose of God's faithfulness and love. Each day we read and learn a little more, each day we draw a little closer. And the health effects of God's love on our physical bodies is amazing! And people notice. They notice that our spouses are content, our children are well balanced, our lifestyle is not chaotic. They look at what true Christians have and they want it for themselves! Oh, to be addicted to God!

Not to say there aren't lows. There are. And sometimes they are quite painful. But these are usually the time when God is either correcting your action and/or thoughts, or you have decided you didn't need His daily dose to get you through this thing called life. The good thing is, with God's love you don't need detox, just repentance. He freely forgives and loves on you that much more. Your wrong is put in the trash where it belongs.

Now I know people will ruffle their feathers over what I just said and call me all kinds of a sinner. And you know what? They would be right. I am a sinner. I was a sinner. I am a forgiven sinner. I am a self-proclaimed God junkie. And proud of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment